Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cherry 16 Restoration


Hi Jaxsen,

Here are some photos of my Cherry 16 ( Ningadoo ) which I managed to get back in the water exactly one year after she was taken out to be restored. Some of the the photos where taken down at the Wooden Boat Center at Docklands, where I worked on her for just under 12 months to get her ready for the Easter event at Yarrawonga. Still a few little things to be completed however but the bulk of the work it has been done now as you can see in the photo's. Please feel free to contact me at 8goannas@gmail.com if you have any questions. I had a computer crash so some of the earlier photos have gone to god i think ..... if I can get them back I will post some of them to you.

Cheers for now,

Will





2 comments:

Paul said...

An excellent project completed successfully. I have restored two Cherry 16s recently. One, #375, had been on moorings for five years, followed by ten years under a cover in a paddock. I rebuilt the cabin and set her up with the original NZ style cruising rig like 380. The other, #CH 911, originally built by Warren Hellwig previously had won the Australian Cherry 16 championship in the days when there was a class association. The hull was very sound. I set her up with the Australian racing rig as specified in the 2001 class rules. This included a tapered Goldspar mast and fully battened square top main. The main and jib are both triradial cut made from the latest Contender RS 3 cloth, with a 14sqm .6oz spinnaker. The deck layout is primarily Harken complete with 22 cleats, but with a Spinlock cleat on the spinnaker halyard so it can be hoisted from any angle. The equipment includes a Tacktik electronic compass and Garmin GPS.

Having been a Yacht Racing coach for some thirty years I am really looking forward to get CH 911 'Stoned' going well for my daughter. The Cherry 16 being so light is excellent for towing round the country. My Wife's Elliott requires a Range Rover which cost twice the cost of the boat.

Enjoy messing about in boats.

will said...

Hi Paul,
Thankyou for your comment on the restoration of my Cherry 16. Can you please post some images of how you have the deck layout set up on both CH 375 and CH 911. I would like to have CH 380 set up as best as I can and any advice and guidance would be most welcome.
Cheers Will